Unlike the first DotA, which was a fan add-on for Warcraft and allowed play on a local network, Dota 2 was originally geared towards online. It runs through Steam and connects to Valve’s servers, which makes offline play very problematic. Nevertheless, Dota 2 without the Internet can still work. It supports both offline play against bots and local network battles with friends.
How to run Dota 2 without the internet
Through which all Valve games run, Steam requires a network connection, and it checks for updates every time you launch it. To open Dota 2 without the Internet, you need to launch it from a shortcut, after which an authorization window will open. Steam, of course, will not be able to connect to the server and will offer to try again or choose the offline mode. You need to select it. After that, the game will start in offline mode.
Dota 2 offline: how to play with bots and friends?
If it is impossible to play Dota 2 online, you can start a training mode against bots. To do this, you should:
- – Start the game.
- – Press the «Play» button.
- – Select the «Training with bots» mode.
- – Indicate the difficulty of the enemy AI.
- – Choose a side to play.
- – Start the match.
To play LAN multiplayer against friends, you will need to enter console commands, so the procedure is a little more complicated. You also need all PCs to be connected to a common network and have Steam on them.
To start a battle, you need:
- 1. Start the game on one of the computers and open the console.
- 2. In the console, enter the command code:
- – sv_lan «1»;
- – dota_bot_set_difficulty «3»;
- – dota_force_gamemode «1»;
- – dota_start_ai_game «1»;
- – map «dota»
- 3. After starting Dota 2 and loading the map, you can select a hero and then write the command «jointeam «good» or jointeam «bad»» (depending on the side) in the console.
- 4. After that, the second player must start the game and enter «connect ip: port», where ip is the IP address of the first player and port is the port number.
- 5. The second player must likewise choose a side with the console command.
- 6. If two hero icons appear at the top, everything is done correctly, and the first player can enter «dota_bot_populate» to add bots.
After completing these steps, you can play with a friend and bots over the local network.
To run Steam offline, you need to open it, and after the program cannot contact the server, select offline mode. In this case, earlier (if there is a network connection), you need to check the “Remember password” box. Without this, the launch may not work.
Without Steam, the licensed game cannot be launched. But you can try to go to the folder with it and run dota2.exe.
Three of us can play on the local network in the same way as together. After joining the second player, the third must do the same.