CS:GO was released in 2012 and still works even on weak hardware. Still, some players lack the performance that is so important in an online shooter. One way to increase FPS is to lower the texture quality. It usually provides a fairly significant performance boost. Next – material on how to compress textures in CS: GO. They all work not only for Counter-Strike but for any other game as well.
How to compress textures in CS:GO without third-party programs
It is not possible. The third-party software will be needed one way or another. Another thing is that you can use standard Windows software. In particular, the registry editor. Contrary to common misconception, you cannot compress textures through the console.
You need to do the following steps:
- 1. Open the standard utility for editing the registry (enter the Regedit command in the “Run” window).
- 2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and find the SYSTEM folder.
- 3. Find two blocks: ControlSet001 and Control.
- 4. Go to Video.
- 5. In it, select the very first item (001), and already in it – UMD.
- 6. Create a new parameter there called LodAdj.
- 7. Go there and select a value from 1 to 7.
The higher the number, the more the textures will be compressed in the game, and the higher the FPS will be.
Compression procedure on Nvidia video cards
To compress textures on the Nvidia video card, it needs third-party software. Native drivers cannot do this. There are many options — for example, Nvidia Inspector. You will also need a pack of compressed textures. Compressed textures must be downloaded in advance.
When the Inspector is installed, you need to:
- 1. Launch the software.
- 2. Press the screwdriver icon.
- 3. Import texture pack (box icon with a green arrow pointing inward).
- 4. Apply Changes.
When all this is done, you need to start the CS:GO and check if the changes have been activated.
How to change textures on Radeon video cards
To compress textures in CS:GO on AMD video cards will also need third-party software. You cannot raise the frame rate using the settings utility. A good option is Tray Tools. For this example, the algorithm of actions is described below.
To compress textures on AMD through Tray Tools, you will need:
- 1. Click on DIRECT 3D.
- 2. Click on “Settings”.
- 3. Go to the “Additional” subsection.
- 4. Open the texture settings block.
Next, you need to select a value from 1 to 7.
How to compress textures in CS:GO on Intel
It is also possible to increase the FPS on Intel by setting a low picture quality. This also requires third-party programs. HiAlgo BOOST will do. To compress textures in CS:GO on an Intel graphics card through this software, you need to do the following:
- 1. Launch the software.
- 2. Open Location.
- 3. Find a file with the name “exceptions” in the list.
- 4. Open it (the easiest option is with a notepad).
- 5. Scroll to MAX_ADJUST_LODBIAS line.
- 6. Set the value “1” there.
- 7. Save.
Next, you need to disable editing “exceptions”. To do this, right-click on it and put a checkbox opposite “Read Only”.
Becomes like in CS 1.6. That is, quite unsightly, even ugly. But you can play with this too.
Usually, the gain is from 20 to 60 frames. It all depends on the hardware. The more powerful it is, the higher the gain. On a relatively powerful system, the FPS will increase by more than 60 frames.
Yes, it greatly increases the game experience. There is almost no latency.