To improve the performance of the Counter-Strike on an old computer, you can adjust the graphics settings at the graphics card driver level. This capability is provided by both discrete GPUs from Nvidia and AMD, as well as integrated GPUs. The instructions below will help you set the graphics parameters to increase the average and minimum FPS in the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.
Configuring 3D Nvidia Settings for CS:GO
To change the default Nvidia settings for CS:GO, you need to right-click on an unoccupied area of the desktop and find the option “Nvidia Control Panel” in the pop-up menu. If it is not there, look for the settings menu in the Windows Control Panel.
The essence of setting up the Nvidia control panel for CS:GO comes down to setting at the driver level the parameters with which the GPU will process the image in the application. In order to optimize performance, you need to:
- 1. In the right column of the Nvidia panel, find the subsection “3D Settings”, and in it – “Adjusting image settings with Preview”.
- 2. In the window, set the switch to “Custom settings with the focus on:” and move the slider to the left, selecting “Performance”.
- 3. Apply and save settings.
- 4. Go to the next item in the 3D Settings subsection, which is called 3D Settings Control.
- 5. Select the “Program settings” tab in the window that opens, find CS:GO there and start choosing parameters.
Setting up Nvidia graphics for CS:GO: choosing options
Setting up a video card for CS:GO boils down to set parameters that create a minimum load on the computer’s graphics card. They allow you to unload the graphics chipset, thereby increasing the FPS.
Applying the specified Nvidia filters for CS:GO, you can force the video card to process the image at a higher speed (to get more quality) than the application’s internal settings allow. Thus, an increase in performance at the hardware level is achieved, delays and lags are reduced.
If the monitor has a high refresh rate, the maximum number of FPS should correspond to it. It makes no sense to set more because the screen will still not be able to display all frames.
Instead of using the settings of a specific application, you can set a global configuration for all 3D programs. Still, then the video card will limit the picture quality at the driver level everywhere (in all games) to improve the FPS. Therefore, it is better to use the Nvidia settings only for CS:GO without adjusting parameters in other games.
The forced setting of parameters allows you to adjust 3D processing algorithms bypassing a specific application at the driver level.
No, the graphics settings only affect the old computer graphics card. If the internet connection is weak, they do not help.
If setting up Nvidia for CS:GO did not help to achieve the desired performance, you can try:
– reduced resolution in the game;
– optimize the software and closing background processes;
– overclock the graphics card.